Saturday 21 May 2011

Smashbox Photo Finish Lid Primer vs Urban Decay Primer Potion

I'd like to compare two eye primers: Smashbox Photo Finish Lid Primer and Urban Decay Primer Potion.
Smashbox Photo Finish Lid Primer (top)
Urban Decay Primer Potion (bottom)


the wands: Smashbox (top), Urban Decay (bottom)

Before I bought my UDPP I didn't know I needed a primer, now I can't live without it. It solved all my problems with oily lids, fading eyeshadows, creasing etc. This certainly is a magic potion. Packed in a tube resembling a witch's vial (which some people hate and I personally don't mind), the very pale beige primer is applied with an angled wand. The consistency is very creamy and easy to distribute all over the eyelid, dries quickly so that you can start applying your eyeshadows almost immediately. Once it's dry it doesn't leave a dry sensation. So you might wonder why I bought a different product, and you would be right. The thing is that Urban Decay does not sell their products in my country. I bought the one on ebay, which I hate doing as I always fear I'd buy something fake (I know what I'm talking about, I've already bought some fake MAC stuff). So I was looking for some alternative and I stumbled across a 3-piece set of Smashbox face products (eye primer, line sealer and face primer).
The Smashbox Photo Finish Lid Primer is sold in a simple tubular container with a typical doe hoof applicator, which is really convenient and practical. the colour is much darker than the UDPP, much closer to a typical medium foundation hue. The consistency seems more watery at first, but the actual coverage is better than in the case of UDPP, but the product does not blend into my skin that well. I mean UDPP is invisible, whereas Photo Finish leaves a hint of colour. Probably on someone with darker skintone this would also be invisible. I generally like everything about the product except one thing: it does not work. My eyelids are as oily as they were, the shadows gather in the crease and disappear. I suppose this product is good for somebody with non-oily lids who wants to even out the the skin tone. For me UDPP remains the perfect solution and I'll keep repurchasing whenever I am abroad.

EDIT: I accidentally dropped my UDPP and the neck of the bottle just snapped in half. Not such a good packaging after all. I was surprised how much product was left inside, I've been using it since October and I thought I'd soon need a new one. Fortunately I was able to deposit the primer in one of those Sephora jars. Anyway I could expect something like this to happen if the product was a cheaper brand, for a high end brand this is barely acceptable. 



Disclaimer: I bought the products myself for my personal use and I am not affiliated with any company. I am not paid to do this review and everything I said here is my genuine opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment