Sunday 5 May 2013

Affordable make-up: Rimmel Scandaleyes Waterproof Khol Kajals in Nude, Silver, Taupe, Bright Blue, Turquoise, Purple



Today I'm going to review a product line I went absolutely mad about. I love good eyeliner pencils and when they're cheap I love them even more. Of course you know what I'm talking about, you've seen the title. Anyway, the products in question are Rimmel Scandaleyes Waterproof Kohl Kajals.
Some of the shades are unavailable in Poland so I had to purchase them online from feelunique.com and actually, with some 10% off offers they turned out to be even cheaper than here.
All of these pencils are traditional wooden pencils which are incredibly soft and pigmented. They glide on smoothly like butter and once they set they're set.

One of the first shades I picked was Nude (#005). To be honest I picked this one because everyone was raving about this one. It was supposed to be used on the waterline to brighten up your eyes and make you look more awake. 


I must admit I didn't like it quite as much as I thought I would. First of all, this pencil being so soft was sort of sticky on the waterline and I felt like it was actually tiring my eyes instead of perking them up. Secondly, this pencil, like all other pencils didn't last on my waterline very long, so what's the point of using it there? It's not a bad pencil, but I can't seem to find the right use for it. It could actually make a nicew blemish concealer but it's too dark for that purpose.  



 The second shade I picked is #010 Silver, which is also one of my favourites. Contrary to Nude, this one has truly brightening properties. 


This shade is light silver, yet not light enough to be mistaken for white pearl. I like to use it on my bottom lashline, combined with all sorts of cool-toned eyeshadows.



#014 Bright Blue is a stunner. It's true to its name a bright kind of royal blue. This shade is so unique and so pretty. I like to combine it with taupes or teals, makes a very unusual, unexpected, yet very pretty match. It's insanely pigmented, looks vivid blue even over black.


Even though I believe this shade to be very unique, I feel there's a much more expensive dupe for it. Urban Decay have recently come up with a number of new 24/7 eyeliner pencils which match eyeshadows which were released earlier. Rimmel Bright Blue reminds me very much of UD Chaos, which I don't have in the pencil form but I do have the eyeshadow and it's exactly the same shade, just a bit lighter than Chaos. That's why I believe they are very close dupes and I don't need to tell you that for the price of one UD pencil you can get the whole bunch of Rimmels. 


Taupe (#004) is one of the two shades that had to be ordered online. I picked it because I simply can't say no to anything taupe. 

This pencil is a medium-toned matte taupe. I use it to line my bottom lashline discreetly. It could also be used to create a very work(or school)-friendly nude make-up just by lining upper lashline with it. This pencil is nicely pigmented but because of it's rather light tone it looks like nothing too obvious. Obviously, lined over some darker eyeshadows this shade is almost invisible.



#007 Turquoise and #013 Purple are my last and I suppose final additions to my Rimmel Scandaleyes pencil collection. 
Turquoise is a gorgeous shade which leans more blue than green. It's shimery, bright and makes my eyes pop. It's a perfect summer shade for me, I'll just line my lashline with this pencil and I'll be good to go with my kids to the beach.

Purple is also very pretty, though much less vibrant. It's a kind of muted plum purple, not very dark, with  matte finish. Looks very pretty on its own.



To conclude I would like to say that I love every single Rimmel pencil I've got. Unlike the Urban Decay 24/7 pencils, which sometimes apply patchily and unevenly,  all of  my Rimmels perform consistently well. These pencils mean a nice variety of shades (though not as wide as the UD ones), saturated colour, even application, smooth feel and lasting, smugdeproof colour. What else could I ask for? Well, bring out more unique shades!




Disclaimer: I bought the product myself for my personal use and I am not affiliated with any company. I am not paid to do this review and everything I said here is my genuine opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment