Friday 17 May 2013

On the benefits of using coconut oil for beauty purposes


Today's review is a review of a non-beauty product which can be used as part of your beauty routine, namely coconut oil.
I heard so many people raving about miraculous properties of coconut oil so I thought I needed to try it out myself.
I suppose the manufacturer or the brand doesn't really matter as long as you buy virgin oil, preferably organic. I went to one of these organic food stores and I got this jar of Vitaquell coconut oils.

Coconut oil looks like a solid but it melts at around 36 degrees celsius so it instantly melts on your skin, and also in warmer climates it turns into liquid. In my bathroom it is as solid as butter in the fridge.

From what I heard I gathered women put this to a variety of uses. Coconut oil is a moisturiser, make-up remover, eye make-up remover, body lotion, eye cream, foot cream, hair oil, scalp, hand cream and more.

I wouldn't be me if I hadn't experimented with this newly acquired substance in every respect and I must disagree that this oil is a universal product which can serve every purpose.

Starting from the face:
this thing is WAY TOO GREASY to use as a make-up remover. I'm sure it does away with make-up but the amount of oil on the face is simply unbearable. It does break down your make-up but it's so hard to remove it from your face, together with your foundation etc.
As for removing eye make-up - the same thing. Or even worse cause it makes black mess in the eye area which is difficult to remove, you need other make-up removers like micellar solution to get rid of this thing and worst of all it tends to migrate towards your eyes and clouds your vision for a while.

I have oily skin but I sometimes use oils as my night time moisturisers cause they actually help restore balance of my skin and limit sebum production. Coconut oil, however, again is too greasy and it doesn't seem to absorb quickly, that is why it felt very uncomfortable on my skin. But I suppose this could be a godsend for very dry skin.   

Although this substance is too oily for me to serve as my moisturiser, I really like patting a tiny amount under my eyes when the area starts feeling dry. The comfort and the relief it brings is immediate and long-lasting. This is a good night time treatment, but during the day it tends to interfere with my nascara.


As for using coconut oil as my body skincare product, again this proved too oily. My skin refused to absorb it and the oily resudue lingered on my skin for much  too long, making my skin itch, not due to any irritation caused by the oil but due to the oiliness on the surface.

However, this proved to be an excellent hand and foot cream. On dehydrated areas it absorbs quickly and leaves my skin feeling soft and smooth. 

I also use this oil instead of hair oils to add shine to my dry hair and to tame the frizz I get after brushing my hair in the morning and to revive my curls. It works just as well as my Moroccan Oil did.

All in all, although this oil did not perform equally well in all respects, it won its place on my bathroom shelf as an all-purpose ointment for the whole family. Not this particular brand but just the oil.  


Disclaimer: I bought the product myself for my personal use and I am not affiliated with any company. I am not paid to do this review and everything I said here is my genuine opinion.



No comments:

Post a Comment