Friday 27 December 2013

Alterna Bamboo Volume On-the-Go Travel Set review



The main reason why I ordered this Alterna Bamboo Volume travel set was that this was the only way to try the Uplifting Root Blast, which comes in a pressurised container and theoretically cannot be shipped abroad, but it must have been overlooked in the set and the whole pouch was shipped without any problems.

I also like travel sizes as they give me the chance to try expensive products out and see if I want to spend money on full-sized products. These tacticts paid me well in case of  Bamboo Volume line.


This volumising set comes in a zipped travel bag, which contains the Bamboo Abundant Volume Shampoo and Conditioner, 48-hour Sustainable Volume Spray and Uplifting Root Blast. 
All products have been formulated with eco-cretified bamboo and maca root (whatever that is) and are free of sulphates, parabens, soduim chloride, phthalates, gluten and synthetic color.

I found the shampoo and the conditioner quite disappointing. Although as far as volume is concerned they do deliver, but at the same time they leave my hair frizzy, unmanageable, coarse and shine-free. While I don't mind it when my hair feels coarse after washing it with a shampoo, I believe the function of a conditioner is to smooth, moisturise and detangle. This is not the case with the Bamboo Abundant Volume Conditioner. What's more, in order to get the desired effect I tended to use much more conditioner than I suppose I needed. This didn't weigh down my hair, but I used up the conditioner when the shampoo tube was still half full.

On the positive note, both products have a very pleasant, refreshing smell.The shampoo is rather economic as a little goes a long way with the rich lather it produces.   
I also have the impression that these products prevented my hair from getting greasy too soon. What's more they didn't irritate my dry and sensitive scalp.



It may seem I found the Alterna set disappointing, but I liked the styling products much more. 
You use the 48-hour Sustainable Volume Spray on wet, towel-dried hair before blow drying. It's weightless, non-sticky, completely imperceptible on my hair, but it it really does add body to my ultra fine hair and allows me to enjoy voluminous hairstyles. I'm not entirely sure whether this uplifting effect lasts for 48 hours, but that's where the Uplifting Root Blast comes in. This is an aerosol spray with a plastic head which allows for precise application at the roots of your hair. This spray offers instant fullness to '2nd day' hair which has fallen flat. This is not a dry shampoo, so you don't use it on the length of your hair nor does it leave any white powdery cast. This product is not as imperceptible as the 48-hour spray, I can definitely feel product build-up in my hair. Unfortunalely, it also thwarts my efforts to straighten my hair which turns kind of nicely wavy and texturised after using the product. To my surprise I really like what it makes my hair look! And it's a perfect rescue in emergency situations when travelling or when you don't have time to wash and style your hair.

So, to sum up, I think the styling products, especially the root blast thing have won my heart and I'll definitely get it full size, but the shampoo and conditioner aren't worth the effort, let alone the money. 




Disclaimer: I bought the product myself for my personal use and I am not affiliated with any company. I am not paid to do this review and everything I said here is my genuine opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment