Monday 1 October 2012

Stila In the Know eyeshadow palette review



Stila In the Know eyeshadow palette caught my interest cause this is one of the rare examples of palettes consisting entirely of matte eyeshadows which, moreover, could be used both dry or wet for more impact.
The palette was very tastefully packed in a sort of recycled paper cardboard box with a window revealing the palette inside. On the reverse you can see the description of the palette together with the names and colours of the eyeshadows inside. To my surprise I discovered thst the palette was made in the USA, I know that Stila manufactures some of their goods in China so I was convinced they'd moved all their production there. 

The palette contains 10 matte eyeshadows, all of them earthy neutrals, an anthracite eyeliner and a lookbook with hints and ideas on how to use the shadows.
The shadows are decently but not insanely pigmented, they're fairly soft so the brush picks up the desired amount effortlessly. The formula isn't too powdery so it doesn't produce excessive fall-out.
What prevents me from falling madly in love with these eyeshadows is that they're not the easiest to blend. In the process of blending they tend either to fade or blend unevenly. It's not too bad, but there are shadows which perform much better.
What I like about the palette is that all shadows here have neutral undertones so I feel they're equally suitable for all skin tones. 
I generally wish the shadow range was more diversified but on the other hand it's very consistent and I feel adding some other shades might ruin the concept. Although I don't see the reason why the shade called Air can't be a sort of gray-blue. 


The palette contains a pretty booklet which prompts how to create a couple of looks. I've recently reviewed Urban Decay Smoked palette, which also contains a look book so comparisons immediately spring to my mind. The Stila look book presents much simpler, fuss-free everyday looks. The UD on the other hand focuses on semi-professional looks for make-up fanatics. Stila instructions are more comprehensible and they're accompanied by realistic pictures while the UD illustrations are sepia-toned impressions which all look the same.

l to r: air, wind, desert, clay
l to r: air, wind, desert, clay
When you look at the pictures below which show individual eyeshadows you'll have the impression that many of them are very similar. Well, it's not just an impression or bad photo. They look very much alike.
The first group (air, wind,desert and clay) are positioned side by side from the lightest to the darkest. Air and wind are good highlighters or bases for other eyeshadows. Desert and clay offer base neutral colour on my lids, however faint. Wind is darker and more peachy than air. And clay is more pink toned than desert.


l to r:  earth, driftwood, rain
l to r:  earth, driftwood, rain
The second set of eyeshadows, scattered across the palette consists of three browns. Driftwood is not the darkest one here but it swatches best. Rain is the lightest of the three, mid-toned brown. Earth is dark, blackish brown.


fire
fire

Fire is the shade which definitely stands out here. It's also the most unique shade in the palette. This shade is autumnal brownish orange, most pigmented  and with the most beautiful colour pay off. I was immediately drawn to this shade but it's not the easiest one to wear. Its reddish tones may make your lids look red as if you've spent all night crying. So do pair this eyeshadow with some other shadow/liner and be careful what you wear it with. 

smoke and ebony

smoke and ebony
Smoke and Ebony are two grayish shades in the palette. Smoke is dark gray and Ebony is almost black but not pitch black. I love Ebony for being a softer version of black. Very appropriate in many situations, blends well with most eyeshadows.


All in all this palette is an excellent choice for neutral mattes lovers. I like using the palette, though I wish the shades blended better.




Disclaimer: I bought the product myself for my personal use and I am not affiliated with any company. I am not paid to do this review and everything I said here is my genuine opinion.




4 comments:

  1. finally someone speaks the truth! before i bought it i did my "research." all blogs and reviews that i found spoke about the shadows blending very easily, the shadows are very pigmented, etc! but when i got the palette i was bummed! i have a hard time blending them. it can be done but its not something i want to do when i buy makeup thats not from the drugstore. is there a brush that you use that blends them the best?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. I found these shadows so disappointing that I'm not going to waste any more of my money on their palettes and it doesn't matter whether this is the unlucky one or all of them are of similar quality. It costs too much to have them shipped to Poland.
      As for the brushes I use, all my blending brushes are by Polish manufacturers like Kozlowski, Maestro or Hakuro and I believe they are superior quality brushes for about a third of MAC price. Normally they do their job perfectly well but not this time, unfortunately.

      Delete
  2. I have this palette too. I think the colors are great for natural looks but I am also disappointing by the quality compared to the price.

    I am glad you like the lookbook though, my friend created the design aspect of it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your friend must be a really talented person, the lookbook is lovely! I've recently come to the conclusion that Stila is terribly overhyped and overpriced in general. I've got a couple of items by them and only the cobalt smudge pot performs nicely.

      Delete