Friday 2 March 2012

YSL Rouge Pur Couture Vernis à Lèvres #10 Rouge Philtre and #5 Rouge Vintage - review&swatches



This post is gonna be all rave about the new lip thing by Yves Saint Laurent. I say "thing" cause this new product escapes all classifications. Looks, applies and shines like gloss but it's as opaque as lipstick and lasts longer than lip stain. What's more it comes in a wide variety of gorgeous shades to suit all tastes.

# 10 Rouge Philtre

My first pick was #10 as I felt like going for red this time but the shade itself is not exactly red. On the applicator it looks very definitely fuchsia pink, when swatched it's proper red, when applied it looks sort of hibiscus red and when it fades the shade becomes watermelon red. It oscilliates around cool, pink-toned red. I must admit I hoped it'd be more red than fuchsia pink, which has never been my favourite colour, but the shade looks surprisingly flattering. It gives the air of spring freshness which I long for sooo much at this time of the year.




But of course it's not the shade that made me love this product sooo much. It's its everlasting power combined with glossy finished. I'm always on a lookout for a long-lasting lipstick for my work and those which I have (eg. Chanel Allure Velvet) are matte and may be a bit dry. I've also had a number of glosses which promised to have long-lasting effects ( liquid lipsticks by Chanel and Lancome) but none of them performed as well as YSL Rouge Pur Couture. 

In the pictures below you can see the gloss swatched and then wiped off a minute or so after the application. So you can see how it works! Even when the lipstick wears off (which takes hours, in fact) the stain remains! 

# 10 swatched


# 10 wiped off

You apply the product like a gloss, with a slightly bent  feathery applicator. And this is the one thing I don't like. Somehow I find it hard to use it on my upper lip. However, pressing lips together, as instructed it the film below, does the trick. The formula is lightweight and non-sticky and  the smell of the lipstick reminds me of Benefit's Benetint ( it is a stain after all).

# 10 Rouge Philtre

The film below is fun, but I wouldn't advise to use as many layers as you like cause the thing turns gooey and slides off my lips. Moderation is the key here!






EDIT: I've just added one more of Vernis a Levres and decided not to do a separate post on it.

#5 Rouge Vintage

Shade 5 (Rouge Vintage) is a sort of faded red, when I swatched it I thought it would be more of a dusty rose  like my beloved Chanel Rouge Coco in Mademoiselle but it turned out to be much more red. Nonetheless I like the colour very much and I find it very flattering and wearable for everyday purposes.


The difference between these two is that #5 is much sheerer than #10 and much less stainy. When I wiped the swatch off my hand there was nothing left! However, the long-lasting quality was not affected at all. It looks stunning on my lips for 5-6 hours so I actually don't care whether it stains my lips or not. I'm sure my collection of these lip goodies is going to grow but they will require a separate post I suppose.
#5 Rouge Vintage

Disclaimer: I bought the product myself for my personal use and I am not affiliated with any company. I am not paid to do this review and everything I said here is my genuine opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment