Friday 14 February 2014

My chubby lip pencil collection



This post is so long overdue. I've putting off writing about all chubby stick likes for so long simply because there are so many of them in my collection that it seemed quite a challenge to gather them all together and compare in a reliable manner.
As everyone knows, these pencils are all stealing the idea of a bulky twist-up lip crayon, initiated by Clinique. Sheer and lip-balmy at first, these pencils have since their first arrival on the market shown countless faces, including highly pigmented and matte ones. 
My collection, consisting of 10 chubby stick look-alikes, will soon be enriched by the addition of Revlon Colourburst mattes and when they arrive, they'll receive a separate review.


I tried to arrange my pencils colourwise, from nudes, through reds, towards pinks, but I wasn't very successful at that, so please bear with me.
Here they come, left to right:

1. Soap & Glory Sexy Mother Pucker Glossy Stick in Nudist is a sheer nude shade with high shine and lovely moisturising properites. In order to get any colour payoff you need to load tons of product onto your lips. I prefer more pigmented lippies and used this up wearing it at home as a lip balm. This product has a sweet, sort of vanilla scent. This product isn't heat resistant, don't carry it with you to the beach as it'll definitely melt.

2.  Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Lip Stain in Honey is a pinker nude with less glossy finish and less moisturising properties than the S&G one. But it stains my lips slightly and is more pigmented. It has a sort of weird scent that is a cross between watermelon and mint.

3. Soap & Glory in Plum Jam is as glossy, moisturising and scented as Nudist, it's very sheer and when you pile tons of it up you'll get a kind of light plumy shade.   

4. Bourjois Color Boost Glossy Finish Lipstick in Plum Russian is a lovely autumnal burgundy shade, not as sheer as Soap & Glory Plum Jam but almost equally glossy. The only thing I don't like about these Bourjois sticks is that they seem to contsin some essential oils that seem to irritate my throat and make me cough. But this might not the case for everyone, my throat is dry and sensitive and this happens quite often when I use glosses.

5. Clinique Chubby Stick Intense in Grandest Grape is my favourite of the bunch and also one of my absolute favourite lip products of last year which I continue to use on daily basis. This is a lovely burgundy shade, intense, long-lasting and moisturising. not as glossy as the Soap & Glory ones, but very comfortable and lightweight on the lips.

6. Jelly Pong Pong Lip Blush is a lovely tomato-leaning-towards-coral red shade with satin finish that glides on wonderfully and stays on my lips for a long time, mainly due to its slight staining properties. It's opaque and has a lovely rosy scent. Unfortunately contains parabens.

7. Bourjois Color Boost in Red Island is a highly pigmented cool toned red with highly glossy finish. There is a slight scent to it which I find hard to associate with anything particular. The Bourjois packaging (this refers to Plum Russian too) is a bit feeble and it tends to twist up on its own, just by rubbing against other things in my make-up bag. This doesn't happen with other pencils of this kind.

8. Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain in Amour is my favourite go-to red. It's always in my make-up bag ready to perk up other lipsticks on the go. It's so easy to use, doesn't call for a liner or ultra precise application, sometimes I use it on the centre of my lips without a mirror and it still looks good. It's a fairly dark, muted red with some shimmer. It does stain my lips slightly and last on them for ever. One of the most wearable reds in my collection.

9. Soap & Glory in Fuchsia-ristic is another sheer ultra glossy crayon from the brand, buildable to a kind of bright coral with sheer base.

10. Revlon Kissable Balm Stain in Cherish is my attempt to embrace the pink lip area, quite a failed one I must admit. I thought this would be a rather sheer pink that would fit within my comfort zone. This lip crayon looks sheer when swatched, but on my lips it kind of oxidises and turns a rather bright pink that I'm sure is pretty wearable for many, but for me this is a bit too much.



swatches taken in different lighting conditions
To sum up the winners are:
in terms of pigmentation - Clinique Chubby Stick Intense in Grandest Grape
in terms of glossy finish and moisturising properties -  Soap & Glory Sexy Mother Pucker Glossy Sticks
in terms of staying power - Clinique Chubby Stick in Grandest Grape, Revlon Balm Stain in Amour and Jelly Pong Pong Lip Blush
in terms of favourite shade - Clinique Chubby Stick Intense in Grandest Grape, Revlon in Amour and Bourjois Red Island



 Disclaimer: I bought the product myself for my personal use and I am not affiliated with any company. I am not paid to do this review and everything I said here is my genuine opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment