Sunday 11 May 2014

Revlon Colorburst Matte Balms in Sultry, Audacious and Mischievous review, swatches & dupes



Revlon is a weird brand in Poland. It's been around for years, but only two drugstores have a proper display of all the products available. Revlon has no website, only on Facebook, but it focuses mostly on hair products. It's the glossy magazines that inform us about new products, not the distributor itself.
That's why I thought I wasn't going to wait any more for the arrival of the new Colorburst Matte Balms and ordered one from the US, but while it was being shipped I spotted these in my local drugstore! There's a very limited number of shades available, but I managed to pick 2 more and I'm still considering getting getting  Complex to use as a base for nude glosses.  


The three shades that I've got are Sultry, Audacious and Mischievous. They're very consistent in terms of pigmentation, matte finish, wear time and slightly minty scent, but their performance differs. 


Sultry (below) is the best-performing shade of them all. It's an autumnal rosy mauve shade that goes on incredibly smoothly, applies evenly without accentuating any dry patches. It's very comfortable to wear, in spite of the amazing colour payoff the balm feels lightweight on the lips, which is pretty rare for matte formulas. This is one of the best lipstick formulas in my stash.


Audatious is a summery bright vivid coral, this shade is amazing, but definitely not meant for the faint-hearted. Unfortunately, its pastel base makes it way more patchy than Sultry, you can sort of blend everything out, but sheerer patches keep popping out here and there. 


Mischievous comes from the same family as Audacious, but it's ligkter and even more pastel. There are also more orange tones to it. I was quite surprised at how good this shade looked on my lips, but the way it applies is horrible. My lips aren't dry at all, but this balm manages to accentuate every dry skin that there possibly is and sometimes I feel is not even there, it's just the product build-up that looks so gross. I never wear this balm on its own, but it makes a nice colur base for orange-toned glosses that are so 'in' now.


All of these Colorburst Matte Balms look lovely with glosses, but coating them with a gloss defeats the purpose of buying a matte product. If worn alone, only Sultry does its job perfectly well.


I rummaged through my stash and produced a couple of dupes of Sultry.
They're all matte finishes, but the dupes come in liquid formula. 
From left to right you can see:
Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvet in Nude-ist
NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream in San Paulo
and Revlon Colorburst Matte Balm in Sultry.

Disclaimer: I bought the product myself for my personal use and I am not affiliated with any company. I am not paid to do this review and everything I said here is my genuine opinion.

2 comments: