Wednesday 10 July 2013

Affordable make-up: Rimmel Apocalips in #300 Out of This World. Review and Swatches.



Rimmel Apocalips seems the lip product everyone has been talking about recently. Everyone mentioned its superb quality and lasting power so I needed to check for myself whether it's really that good. 


This gloss comes in a well-designed, modern-looking packaging, whether you like it or not or whether it seems high-end or not is a matter of individual taste. I personally prefer simpler forms. The applicator seemingly looks like a traditional doe foot except that there's a small well in the applicator which supposedly picks up more product. Quite clever.   

The shade I picked is #300 Out of This World.
It's not my favourite shade family, I hardly ever wear typical pinks but this spring I felt like exploring new areas so I thought getting something cheap could be a good way of checking whether the shade suits me and testing the product itself at the same time.
Out of This World is a pale pink shade with what I considered to be shimmer but it actually is quite a frosty finish. The gloss is opaque in one coat, glides smoothly and the finish is even and non-streaky, which is a rare thing in case of frosty finishes. It's actually not even a gloss but one of these hybrid products called liquid lipsticks or lip laquers. The staying power of this gloss is comparable to the one of a lipstick. So far so good.

I must say that is spite of the fenomenal coverage there are a couple of things I don't quite like about the product.
It doesn't feel drying but it's not moisturising either. 
When applied on my lips it doesn't look glossy. It's more like satin finish with frost on top.
I expected this to be longer lasting. This lip laquer doesn't set, it transfers onto everything and is equally easy to remove, though careful sipping will not erase it that much.
Smells horrible, the smell resembles the hard candies my grandma used to keep in a jar for so long beyond expiry date that they melted together, lost their initial flavour and absorbed a kind of damp smell of the jar. Yuck.


All in all, this is a very decent product. It's cheap and wears pretty well. I'm planning to get one more of these in Big Bang, which seems to be a stunning red shade. 
Edit: I've just discovered that Big Bang, for some reason unknown, is not part of the range sold in Poland. Had to order online. 



Disclaimer: I bought the product myself for my personal use and I am not affiliated with any company. I am not paid to do this review and everything I said here is my genuine opinion.



No comments:

Post a Comment