Thursday 24 April 2014

Bourjois 1 Seconde mascara waterproof review


When wandering around the shelves of my favourite drugstore I spotted this new mascara by Bourjois. I cannot say why this particular one spoke to me as I hadn't bought a Bourjois mascara in years, but there was something about the packaging and the fact that it was available in waterproof version as well that made me take it home with me.


The 1 Seconde mascara promises one second volume, which I suppose means in a single brush stroke. It comes with the most peculiar applicator ever that consists of a combination of short spikey bristles and small balls. Rubber applicators tend to be prickly, but this one feels strangely comfortable. The bristles do coat my lashes decently well in one stroke, but I like my lashes much more volumised so I add one or two more coats. I haven't noticed much clumping nor crumbling.  Even though I bought this mascara in waterproof version, it doesn't dry stiff. My lashes feel flexible and that's why it's easy to add more coats smoothly. I like the way this mascara makes my lashes look. They're decently volumised and lengthened.

Now, on to the bad. 
The wand is just cut sharp at the tip and although this isn't the most massive brush in history, I find it very hard to reach my inner corner lashes and the bottom ones. What's more, if I do the brush deposits too much product there.
The mascara is not exactly watery, I'd describe it as gel consistency, nonetheless it does transfer and stain a a lot before it dries, so be careful when applying or else you'll end up with spotted eyeshadow on the upper lid and panda eyes below.
Well, you'll get panda eyes anyway cause this mascara, even though waterproof, does smudge a lot. It may be waterproof, but any contact with concealer, foundation, grease, sweat breaks it down and I end up with circles under my eyes. I've tried different concealers, powders etc and ended up with cakey, wrinkled, dry undereye with black traces of mascara where my lashes touched my undereye. This doesn't happen with other waterproof mascaras, eg. my recent favourite L'Oreal butterfly one.   

I'm in two minds about this mascara. I cannot say I don't like it, but for my bottom lashes I need to use another one. This is a drugstore mascara, but it's fairly expensive with its price dangerously close to Clinique mascaras. I'd strongly recommend getting it on some 40%off offer, if not, just fork out a couple more pounds and get something better. 


Disclaimer: I bought the product myself for my personal use and I am not affiliated with any company. I am not paid to do this review and everything I said here is my genuine opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment