Tuesday 22 April 2014

Bumble and Bumble Thickening Shampoo, conditioner, Hairspray and Dry Spun review



Bumble and Bumble is definitely my favourite haircare brand and I generally believe that whatever they touch turns to gold. And at first I believed this was the case with their thickening line, but after using up half of the products pictured above my opinion is slightly less favourable.

I have been using simultaneously three products from the Thickening line - the shampoo, the conditioner and the hairspray.  All three of them are intended for fine hair and promise to add volume without weighing down the hair. 
The shampoo is a good cleansing product for the hair. It removes product build-up while kind of moisturising my hair, leaving it - I don't know how to explain it- wet from within. You need only a tiny drop of the product as it foams insanely, so even though the product is expensive you can get countless uses of it and it seems everlasting, especially if you have short hair, like I do.

The condition is kind of weird. You definitely need to leave it on for one or two minutes, as instructed. Then the hair is smooth and easy to comb, but when you're in a hurry and rinse it off immediately, it leaves the hair feeling rough and tangled. 

Both the shampoo and conditioner have a weird smell that I associate with something musty and stale, but it wasn't overall unpleasant. Just weird.

The hairspray is meant to be sprayed all over wet hair to lift it up, it can also be used on dry hair to set the style. It's non-sticky and lightweight, you don't feel it on your hair at all. The smell is consistent with the other two products within the range, but there's also a strong scent of alcohol that makes it smell a bit different overall. The product is a non-aerosol spray that comes with a pump that distributes the right amount of product nicely. This product doesn't have heat protecting properties.


I like using products from the same line as combos because I suppose they were designed to work well together. I reached for my Bumble and Bumble Thickening straight after using up my Straight Sexy Hair shampoo and conditioner and I immediately saw the difference. My hair was fuller and lighter, but less shiny and more electrostatic. I was happy with the result for a while but then I realised that my hair looked good only straight after washing. 'Next day' hair was again flat and limp and moreover it tended to look greasy. 

I feel the shampoo and the conditioner are all right and they do their job pretty well, but the hairspray really didn't do much to deliver the volume and hold it promises, not to mention lasting style. I'm glad I got it in travel size as anything bigger would be a total waste of money and this way it's a waste of a smaller kind of fortune. 

I generally don't want to say that these are bad products, it's just when you buy something so expensive your expectations are relatively higher. No miracle happened here for me.

I also want to say that the packaging that all products by the brand come in is dated and looks exactly like the bottles from The Body Shop. But it's good, on the other hand, as Mr Hubby never complains about using these highly overpriced goodies on his own head.    


While the Thickening Hairspray dates back to 1989 - no idea if the product has been reformulated since then - Bumble and Bumble's new addition to the line represents a much more modern approach to hair styling. Technically their Thickening Dry Spun is a texturising spray, but for me this is the best 'second day' hair reviver I've used since I started straightening my hair. This spray makes my hair look volumised and fresh and restyled without leaving white cast nor this crisp matte dryness. What's more it doesn't seem to irritate my dry scalp as much as other dry shampoos tend to do. It's insanely dear, but I use it only on my bangs so I expect it to last for a good couple of months. I'll be crying when it's gone and I've already started saving my money to repurchase. I'm also intending to get the Thickening mousse as I feel this is the product that will give my hair lots of volume and I won't need to wash it every single day. 

Disclaimer: I bought the product myself for my personal use and I am not affiliated with any company. I am not paid to do this review and everything I said here is my genuine opinion.




No comments:

Post a Comment