Monday 24 March 2014

L'Oreal False Lash Wings mascara in Midnight Blacks review



When Mr Hubby strongly objected to me getting a Chanel mascara I felt determined to prove him wrong and show to him that instead of getting one pricey, but good mascara, I would keep looking for something decent in the drugstore until I spend just as much money as the high end would cost.

It's true that instead of getting one Le Volume de Chanel I bought a couple of drugstore mascaras, but I must say that the results of my search surprised me greatly and I managed to find one of the best mascaras I've ever used. 


L'Oreal False Lash Wings mascara, aka False Lash Flutter in the UK, or Voluminous Butterfly in the USA, has the weirdest wand I've seen in my life.  It's not as massive as many applicators these days, but it's got the most peculiar shape. It has regular rows of spikes, not very densely located, with two rows that consist of bristles that grow gradually longer towards the base of the applicator. Thanks to this shape and the thick, yet not dry formula of the mascara, the brush applies a thick coat of mascara while simultaneously brushing through the lashes, separating and fanning them out in the most beautiful way. When you rotate the brush, it gets way smaller in diameter and allows you to reach bottom lashes without too much effort. The effect is full, voluminous lashes that I love so much.


I haven't noticed any major smudging. The mascara has passed my 'nap test' with decent notes. However, this mascara is not without its flaws. I've noticed some crumbling and flaking under my eyes and the mascara sometimes transfers onto my upper lid in high temperatures, when my skin becomes oily and sticky.
I can't say much about this mascara holding a curl as my lashes are naturally fairly curly and flexible and all mascaras curl them nicely, no matter whether I use my curlers or not.


A couple weeks after I bought this mascara I spotted a waterproof version in my local drugstore and I decided to try it out to see if the super volumised effect is the same and if the waterproof formula is truly waterproof and will come in handy when splashing in water in the summer and whether it eliminates the flaking.


The waterproof formula seems quite different to me. It dries very fast to a rather inflexible crust that makes it hard to add more coats. I managed to apply two coats for a fairly decent volume and without sticking all my lashes together. The mascara survived until the end of the day in tip-top condition with no smudging nor flaking. To my surprise it wasn't a pain to remove using my cleansing balm. I have a strong suspicion we will remain friends for a long, long time.


Disclaimer: I bought the product myself for my personal use and I am not affiliated with any company. I am not paid to do this review and everything I said here is my genuine opinion.


No comments:

Post a Comment