Thursday 6 March 2014

Urban Decay Naked 3 palette review & swatches


I've been wandering whether to review my new Urban Decay Naked 3 palette since this is the most often reviewed, photographed and swatched palette of late. Can I add anything to these professional studio pictures? Probably not. That is why I decided to skip the attempt to describe each shades and focus more on my personal opinion and observations.



This palette, as everyone knows, is the pinkish variation of the nude eyeshadow theme. I was quite uncertain whether I needed this in my collection at all. I generally believe hardly anyone looks good in pinks on their lids, and many Naked 3 tutorials I saw on Youtube only confirmed my conviction, but on the other hand a number of shades seemed less pink and were just calling my name. I'm a big Urban Decay fan and I have most of their recent palettes so I finally gave in and went on a hunt for the Naked 3. Getting this palette wasn't easy as it kept selling out within minutes but eventually I managed to get hold of it and here it is. 


The palette, like all Naked palettes, comes with a horrible, stiff, poky plastic brush (the handle is metal, the bristles are plastic), though I must admit that these brushes evolve a bit and this one has the best blending side of the three, the flat side is all right for packing on shadow.
There's also a small sample booklet containing tiny sachets with all Urban Decay Primer Potions within the range. There was a time when I loved the original one, but then they changed the formula and my preference shifted towards Too Faced Shadow Insurance. Now I've been using the UD Anti-Ageing one for the past couple of days and I must say I love it! 

Now on to the eyeshadows. I must say that I don't pay much attention to the pinky rose gold shades on the left, but I keep playing with the darker neutrals in the right half.


I really like Strange, which is a lovely matte highlight colour, that blends like a dream, covers all imperfections and looks good on the brow bone, in the inner corner and on the entire lid.
Dust and Burnout are the shades I rather don't touch. Dust is a very bad quality eyeshadow that is chunky, doesn't cling to the skin at all, produces tons of fallout without staying on the lid.
I'm torn inbetween as far as my opinion about Limit is concerned. This is a very unique rosy, somewhat plummy brown, matte shade that I absolutely adore. The problem is that such shades may make you look tired or as if you were suffering from some allergic reaction or were trying to disguise a bruise. 


I'm not a big fan of Buzz and Trick, though I use them sometimes to bring some light to the centre of my lid, but it's Nooner and Liar that call my fancy. 
Nooner is like a darker sister of Limit, but it's much more brown and that's why it's safer and more presentable in the crease. It's a great quality matte eyeshadow with great pigmentation and almost buttery formula. If all matte eyeshadows were like the three mattes from this palette! 
While Buzzs looks like a shimmery version of Limit, Liar is Nooner with shimmer finish. They look very pretty together.
And the final quad!
These are my absolute favourites from Naked 3 palette. 
They're all less pink than all other shades here. Factory and Darkside are less shimmery than other shadows, especially Darkside, which is almost satin. 
Blackheart is a very unique shade which is a very dark brown matte or satin eyeshadow with plum brown glitter, though the glitter disappears somewhere when blending so what you get is a gorgeous blackened neutral brown colour with slight reddish undertones. If you want to keep the shimmer, just pat this on and don't blend.

So all in all I really like the palette. The shades I reach for most often are Strange, Nooner, Factory, Mugshot, Darkside, Blackheart, which makes half of the palette, which is quite a good result statistically because it never happens that I like each single shade in a large palette like this.
My only complaint is the way the palette is assembled. Half of the pans in my palette are glued in at some angle that makes them look as if they're going to fall out or I associate them with keys of a broken piano. Seriously Urban Decay, for £37 you could do better than that!



 Disclaimer: I bought the product myself for my personal use and I am not affiliated with any company. I am not paid to do this review and everything I said here is my genuine opinion.



No comments:

Post a Comment