Wednesday 30 July 2014

Revlon Highlighting Palettes in Bronze Glow #030 and Rose Glow #020 review & swatches



Revlon highlighting palettes had been resting in my e-bay basket for a good while when I spotted them in my nearest drugstore. They arrived quite unannounced with no advertising, no blog reviews. One day they just were there. As far as I could see there are only two shades available here out of the three that were released in the States. At first I picked Bronze Glow #030 and I liked so much that I came back for more even though I had my reservations about Rose Glow #020.  

These highlighting palettes come in simple, square boxes that don't pretend to be more than a drugstore product, but they're nice and sleek and reliable. The palettes themselves are copycats of the renowned Shimmer Bricks by Bobbi Brown or their drugstore dupes - Physicians Formula Shimmer Strips, none of which I own, so I'm not going to compare these.


Bronze Glow consists of a range of brown shades and a lighter one. The brown shades are a mix of red-toned and warmer ones, with the last one being a fairly dark brown colour and one almost white shade with yellowish pearl. All stripes are shimmery, but they don't offer the mirror-like sheen of The Balm Mary-Lou anizer or Bobbi Brown Shimmer Bricks. Neither of the shades contains glitter. 
Bronze Glow is the more pigmented and the more versatile palette of the two. Not only is it a highlighter, but it also doubles or even triples as a bronzer or even as an eyeshadow palette.
To use it as a highlighter you need to pick thea blend of upper shades with a sparse synthetic brush (my favourite is Real Techniques Duo Fibre face brush), otherwise it will deposit too much colour. 
If you focus on the darker shades you'll get a fairly pigmented shimmery bronzer that will give you the summer glow you are looking for in the summer months. When I used this with a dense powder brush, my cheeks looked way too dark, so a fluffy synthetic brush is highl;y recommended.
When I used these as eyeshadows, all shades looked kind of peachy on my lids. Peach is not the shade that looks good on my skin tone, but I know there are girls who actually enjoy wearing peaches on their lids. They may pull out differently on different skin tones as none of them looks peach in the pan.

The texture of these is buttery smooth and blends in perfectly.


Rose Glow is totally different from Bronze Gold. It's less pigmented and three out of five stripes are glittery and this is what I was pretty much worried about. However, to my surprise, if you apply the highlighter with a brush like the aforementioned Real Techniques duo fibre one, the brush won't pick up the glitter particles and only the minimal amount of those chunky particles will land on your face.


This palette is clearly a highligher. It's too sheer and pale and sparkly to serve as a blush or eyeshadows. The texture is also much drier, so the product doesn't cling on all that well. 
For me this makes a perfect go-to highlighter. It's not overly pigmented, sparkly nor shiny. It looks presentable on everyday occassions, giving my face a discreet, brightening glow without looking anyhting over the top. I definitely don't regret my purchase, even though I'd very hesitant about it.


Disclaimer: I bought the product myself for my personal use and I am not affiliated with any company. I am not paid to do this review and everything I said here is my genuine opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment