Thursday 17 July 2014

La Roche-Posay Anthelios sunscreen line overview: Anthelios XL Tinted Extreme Fluid, Anthelios XL Ultra-Light Fluid, Anthelios Ultra Light Aquagel, Anthelios XL Dry touch gel-cream




I'm going to start this review with a product that I got in full size, though chronologically it's the last one in the sequence of La Roche-Posay sunscreens I've recently tried.
I got my Anthelios XL Tinted Extreme Fluid SPF 50+ in a great value pack. Not only was it relatively inexpensive, but also came with a small can of La Roche-Posay thermal water.
The sunscreen comes in a very fun looking, sleek and lightweight bottle with its mouth placed asymetrically on one side. It's travel-friendly, you can carry it in your handbad or a beach bag, it won't occupy much space or be too much of a burden.  

This product is water resistant, non-scented, paraben-free and has a reduced content of chemical filters. Mine is meant for normal to combination skin, but a version for dry skin also exists. 


When I first opened the product I was struck by three things: first by how dark it was and second by its strong alcohol smell (alcohol is one of the most prominent ingredients) and finally how runny it is.
So let me address these two issues. The dark colour blends with my skin very well, it doesn't go that dark when applied, but it gives my face a lovely warm glow instead of the deathly white cast that is so popular among sunscreens. I really like the way it looks on my face.

About the second issue, although many people will complain about the presence of alcohol in the product, my skin is not sensitive to it, so I don't really mind. It's important to realise what function it actually performs in the product. Thanks to the presence of alcohol this product is lightweight and liquid. When applied it's lightweight, but kind of tacky. However, the alcohol evaporates from the skin and the product sets, leaving matte canvas on my face. I really love what it looks like,say, five minutes after the application. But if your skin or nose are alcohol-sensitive or if matte finish is not what you're after, don't get this product!

The product's runny formula is the only issue I haven't been able to tackle. It's almost like water, so it's quite messy, you need to apply it not with your fingertips, but both hands as if you were washing your face with it. I don't quite enjoy having my entire hands covered with a product that is close to a CC cream in terms of colour and coverage. But I can bear it, I suppose, during the two months of my holiday. The lightweight, white cast-free result compensates for the inconvenience.   


EDIT: Tends to ball up! Grrrr!

And now on to the samples I tried before making my choice:
Anthelios XL Ultra-Light Fluid SPF50+ is a non-tinted version of the one reviewed in the first place.
The consistency is thicker than that of the tinted version, and the alcohol smell is not as noticeable but it contains alcohol as well. Apart from that it was fragrance free.
It's lightweight, absorbs well, it's non-oily, works well for my oily skin but it's not mattifying, I didn't find it drying either. 
I like it a lot, so if I hadn't picked up the tinted one, this is the one I would have gone for.


Anthelios Ultra Light Aquagel SPF30 was actually very similar to Anthelios XL Ultra-Light Fluid SPF50+, the major difference being the fact that the SPF is lower. I did a test of applying these two on two sides of my face and there was barely any difference. My subjective impression was that it had a stronger smell of alcohol, but I might be wrong. If I were to choose. I'd pick the one with the stronger sunscreen, but this pretty much depends on personal needs.

Anthelios XL Dry touch gel-cream is quite thick, very white. When fully absorbed leaves a powdery finish with very strong white cast. The 'dry touch' powder  transfered onto my clothes, leaving strong white marks on everything it touched. There is also a characteristic scent of sunscreen.
This product reminded me a lot of Etude House Dear Girls moisturiser, the only difference being the SPF. 
As you have guessed, I didn't like this product after trying out the sample and got a different one instead. 



Disclaimer: I bought the product myself for my personal use and I am not affiliated with any company. I am not paid to do this review and everything I said here is my genuine opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment