Monday 14 January 2013

Affordable make-up: Essence lipliner in Femme Fatale (10) and Red Blush (08) review

Essence lipliner in Femme Fatale (10)


When writing my 2012 favourites post I said that when it comes to lip liners there are only two kinds of lip liners -  Make Up For Ever Aqua  Lip liners and everything else. I was wrong, I'm afraid, cause the category everything else has better and worse representatives. Essence lipliners fall into the latter one.
Essence lipliner in Femme Fatale (10)
Before I go on I need to explain what I mean by a good lip liner. A good lip liner is smooth and creamy at the moment of application, glides effortlessly and precisely along the lip shape. Then it should set to prevent lipsticks or glosses you apply over the liner from running and feathering. I don't expect liners to be moisturising, glossy, lip-balm-like cause they simply won't work.

Essence lipliner in Red Blush (08)

Unfortunately Essence lip liners don't fulfill my requirements. They're incredibly soft and smooth and actually would make very decent pencil lipsticks if they were manufactured in jumbo size. They are non-drying and fairly moisturising. The problem is that they don't set and get dissolved by lipsticks and glosses. They don't prevent glosses from feathering and they don't make a nice crisp lip edge they are supposed to do.

Essence lipliner in Red Blush (08)

Femme Fatale is a pretty mid-toned cool red. Colourwise this is exactly what I was looking for. Matches a number of my red lipsticks and glosses.
Red Blush is a darker and more burgundy red. Also very pretty and works well with a variety of lip products in my collection.

With the shades being so nice I hoped I could fill in a gap in my lip liner shades at minimal cost (one pound or $1.5). Unfortunately they don't work as well as expected them to. I won't repurchase but surely I'll use these up.  



Disclaimer: I bought the product myself for my personal use and I am not affiliated with any company. I am not paid to do this review and everything I said here is my genuine opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment