Sunday 3 July 2011

Urban Decay : The Black Palette (review + swatches)


Urban Decay: The Black Palette


My coming into possession of this palette is a kind of funny story. Me and my husband were going to see The Pirates of the Carribean when I felt a need to pop into our local Sephora. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw an Urban Decay palette in a Pirates of the Carribean box. Our Sephora does not distribute Urban Decay products and the consultants are totally unfamiliar with the brand, so I guess it's not hard to imagine how surprised I was. What is more I didn't know that The Black Palette is now being repromoted in connection with the Pirates of the Carribean premiere. My jaw dropped when I went to pay and it turned out it was one of the discounted products and it cost... £14!!! I couldn't believe my luck! I've heard a lot about Urban Decay eyeshadows, never had the possibility to try them out myself, so I jumped at the chance to test them! 


The palette contains 6 shades, from top left: Black Dog, which is a matte black, Barracuda, which is a shimmery anthracite, Jet, which is a shimmery dark purple. Bottom row from left: Sabbath is a dark shimmery blue, Cobra is a dark, shimmery olive, and Libertine, which is a very dark shimmery green. When swatched the shadows are even darker than they are in the pan.

top row: black dog, barracuda, jet
bottom row: sabbath, cobra, libertine


I'm generally into dark colours, so in terms of colours this palette is designed especially for me. As far as the shadows themselves are concerned I was surprised at how powdery they are. They crumble in the pan and make it a bit messy. They also produce a lot of fallout. But on the bright side, they are super pigmented, blend very well  and last for ever with no creasing, no fading.

The palette also contains the most popular product of Urban Decay, the Primer Potion in Eden (a bit too fair for my liking, I'll stick to the regular one) and the fabulous 24/7 eyeliner pencil in Zero. This eyeliner is the best eyeliner pencil I've ever used. I thought Make Up For Ever Aqua Eyes was good, this one is miles better. It applies as smoothly as a cream eyeliner. I desperately need more of these pencils!

So overall, this is a nice palette, which I'm really happy with. I just need to remember to do my eyes before my foundation. Still, I don't think I'm desperate to buy any more of Urban Decay eyeshadows. MAC are way better and I'd rather stick to them. The pencil is a worthwhile discovery, though!

EDIT: tried using the shadows wet to much better result! No fallout and the result is awesome! They will make excellent shadows for the crease!

Disclaimer: I bought the product myself for my personal use and I am not affiliated with any company. I am not paid to do this review and everything I said here is my genuine opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment